TransitMiami is excited to share the latest images of the possible Metrorail train car fleet! We should be seeing one or more of these proposed machines in operation by the first quarter of 2015.

We were provided with exterior and interior renderings for three (3) fundamentally new Metrorail vehicle models:

1. SPOON
  2. RING
  3. SHIELD

Each of these models bears a distinctive livery (design scheme / insignia):

1. SPOON – “Neon”
  2. RING – “Shark” & “Shark Y”
  3. SHIELD – “Status”
 Take a look. . . .

SPOON — “Neon”

RING – “Shark” & “Shark Y”

SHIELD – “Status”

Share your thoughts. . . . Any favorites? Any design(s) you particularly love/hate? . . . Speak up, Miami!

24 Responses to The New, More-Modern Metrorail Fleet

1. Mike Moskos says:

I hope they’ll give the public a chance to try out these new seats. They could be really comfortable (or not). Tri Rail just recently put some new cars into service and in contrast to the cars they had on loan that had both comfortable seats and a nice looking interior, the purchased cars’ interiors are utilitarian and the seats really uncomfortable. These Metrorail cars will carry a lot of people for a long time. It’s important to get it right (particularly if you want to get people on Metrorail and off the roads).

2 likes

2. Arrr says:

I like the Neon one, Miami is very neon oriented.

3 likes

3. Pilar says:

I love the Neon…it is so Miami!

2 likes

4. Pilar says:

This design is very fitting to our wonderful blend of cultures! I hope this is the design we get to see as our Metro Rail. On that note: It would be fantastic if the Metro Rail will service West and East Miami! I hope the people we elected to take care of this city makes note of this route Build it and people will ride it!

6 likes

5. John says:

they might want to make the door openings a little wider. Just in case ridership expands exponentially in later years.

2 likes

6. Elizabeth Hamilton says:

I vote for Neon. It’s sexy like Miami!

4 likes

7. Meghan says:

I agree Elizabeth the blue is sexy. I vote for Neon too. It reminds me of our beautiful ocean.

3 likes

8. Omar Emilio Dalmau says:

I like them all, but if we need to select one it would be the SHARK

1 likes

9. Wallace Bray says:

It’s to bad these new cars will be spoiled with ads plastered all over them.

0 likes

10. Julius says:

I support the spoon one.

0 likes

11. Sue says:

Neon is a go

2 likes

12. Kevin says:

I like the Neon one. I think the colors are fitting and fun. I do not like the red interior of the Status, it reminds me of blood.

The interior should be designed to accommodate the maximum amount of passengers possible. We should plan for exponential growth in ridership. This year was Metro’s highest ridership year ever.

Now can we please get a Metro line to the Design District and FIU?

5 likes

13. Armando says:

I agree we need to get the airport line extended along 836 to Doral, dolphin/intl malls, and most importantly FIU. Can we get FIU and govts at the local, state, and federal level to jointly fund this? Makes a lot more sense than the high speed train projects the federal govt wanted to find before.

Check out the TriRail Fast Track program. They want to bring passenger service along the FEC track to stops between downtown Miami and FTL. I hope this moves forward soon.

4 likes

14. Harry E. Gottlieb says:

What happens with old fleet? Will we sell them or just scrap them?

0 likes

15. Harry – the old fleet will likely be scrapped as it has reached the end of its usable life. MDT had the option to overhaul the existing fleet or purchase these new vehicles.

0 likes

16. Cynthia says:

Definitely neon!

0 likes

17. Andres says:

I like Shark

0 likes

18. Benito de la Castellana says:

Is MDT even looking at any possible Metro expansions? I just don’t get it. How is it possible that almost every other major city in the country is looking at new trams and light rail, and we’re stuck on bus rapid transit.

Quite frankly, it’s extremely disheartening and the lack of representation for transit support amongst our local politicians is embarrassing. The mayor is quick to boast about Miami’s rapid urban construction but has nothing to say about how transportation will be accommodated in all this? Guess, we’ll be stuck behind the rest of the global cities with congestion galore. Wonderful.

6 likes

19. Benito de la Castellana says:

And let’s not go too far. Fort Lauderdale is already going full steam ahead with their tram project- the Wave, plus with support from the Broward MPO to expand the line west to Nova Southeastern and through FLL airport. Miami- zilch.

6 likes

20. Anonymous says:

Those are nice train cars, but the rail car design won’t do much to improve ridership if we still have to take unreliable busses to/from the stations. I hope “the wave” up in Fort Lauderdale is a success so that we in Miami-Dade finally catch on to the simplicity and practicality of light rail, as opposed to our current metrorail-or-busses approach.

Is Tri-Rail’s “fast track” expansion plan going anywhere??? It would seem that they should be designing stations NOW for service to begin in 2014:(

2 likes

21. [...] – “Status” For More Images: Click Here if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [...]

0 likes

22. George says:

Shield for the design of the front, but screw all the paint schemes. Wny can’t MDT come up with someting cohesive for the buses, Metromover, and Metrorail? Looks like each is run by a seperate agency, with 3 different agencies running buses. A clear consistant branding is more important than many might think.

3 likes

23. Flor says:

I love both Sharks!! I agree with John, though — let’s have wider doors for widespread use in the coming years.

0 likes

24. Benito de la Castellana says:

@George… MDT has always had issues with branding. Look no further than their ever changing Metrorail and Metromover maps. There are at least three “official” Metromover maps and they’re all unhelpful.

0 likes