Last Wednesday morning over 250 people gathered for a ULI sponsored panel discussion about development opportunities along the FEC in Ft. Lauderdale. For years the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority has been trying to bring commuter rail service along the FEC corridor from Palm Beach County to Downtown Miami. Shamefully, not a single elected official from Miami Dade County attended this event; nor did any officials from Miami Dade Transit or the Miami Dade County Metropolitan Planning Organization .
I’m not sure in what bubble world our Miami Dade elected officials live in, but this is not acceptable. Events like this should be well attended by Miami politicians as well as by Miami Dade Transit and MPO officials. It seems like our South Florida neighbors in Broward County and Palm Beach County “get it”; there was solid representation by elected officials from Broward and Palm Beach County.
It’s time for Miami to start taking a more regional approach to public transit with our neighbors in Palm Beach County and Broward County. This “go-it-alone” strategy doesn’t cut it. In fact, it’s embarrassing.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- B on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- yes on Miami-Dade County Deserves New Thinking on Transit
- Urbanity on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- SEFTA on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Robert Friedman on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Diego on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning