A few weeks ago we wrote about the abysmal pedestrian conditions along SE 1st Avenue. We met with William Plasencia from Commissioner Sarnoff’s office after we posted this article and he promised us that the Commish would respond. Well it looks like Commissioner Sarnoff has delivered some small improvements.
Just this past weekend I saw these “Yield to Pedestrian” signs in the middle of the road along SE 1st Avenue. The impact of these signs can be felt immediately. On Saturday I witnessed dozens of cars moving more slowly along this street and drivers even stopped for pedestrians in the crosswalks. This is a perfect example of inexpensive traffic calming, that can be easily implemented and will save lives.
This is a big first step, but there is plenty of work yet to be done on this street. There should be crosswalks at every intersection of this road. There are still intersections where the crosswalks are non-existent. We’ll give Commissioner Sarnoff a solid “C+” for effort and a Transit Miami Shout-Out. Well done Mr. Sarnoff, but there is plenty of room for improvement still.
We are still trying to get Commissioner Sarnoff to commit to a Brickell field trip with us. Hopefully he will take us up on our offer.
Please send Commissioner Sarnoff an email thanking him and his office for being proactive. We need to give credit where credit is due.
- Another Pedestrian Hit on Brickell Avenue
- New Bicycle Lanes on South Miami Avenue
- Setting the Record Straight: “The Crusade to Reduce the Speed Limit on Brickell Avenue.” Letter to the Editor of Miami Today News.
- Sarnoff Ushers In Car-Free Commodore Plaza
- Transit Miami and FDOT take a field trip on Brickell Avenue
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- SEFTA on Ridership Benefits of Infill Stations
- B on Miami Dade Transit’s 10-Year Plan is an Abomination
- Urbanity on Miami Dade Transit’s 10-Year Plan is an Abomination
- Jonathan Cameron on Miami Dade Transit’s 10-Year Plan is an Abomination
- ray on Miami Dade Transit’s 10-Year Plan is an Abomination
- IvoSan on Miami Dade Transit’s 10-Year Plan is an Abomination
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning