Unscientific Transit Miami research says “yes”. On my morning ride today, I decided to count cyclists and cars during 5 minute periods. If you may recall, I shot a five minute video a few weeks ago and I counted about 180 cyclists. Here are the results of today’s handle bar research:
|Number of Bikes and Cars Counted in 5 Minutes on the Rickenbacker Causeway|
|Bike count #1||124|
|Bike count #2||153|
|Bike count #3||87|
|Average # of bikes in 5 minute period
|Car count #1||87|
|Car count #2||128|
|Car Count #3||101|
|Average # of cars in 5 minute period||105|
It seems that bicycles alone outnumber cars. I did not count pedestrians, but there were a lot of them out there. I think it would be fair to assume that pedestrians and bicyclists outnumber cars on the Rickenbacker Causeway on weekend mornings.
So when is the county going to start closing down a lane of traffic on the weekends for pedestrians and cyclists to exercise safely? I don’t have the answer to that question, but I can say with all confidence, this initiative is long overdue.
- Why Bicyclists Keep Dying on the Rickenbacker Causeway
- Just another Sunday morning on the Rickenbacker Causeway
- Just Another Saturday Morning on the Rickenbacker Causeway…
- Reposted:Transit Miami Recommendations for the Rickenbacker Causeway
- Time to stop playing politics on the Rickenbacker Causeway, every Sunday should be a ciclovia on the Rickenbacker.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- Mike Arias on Here’s the Route for Friday’s Critical Mass in Miami
- Mike Arias on Why pedestrians jaywalk in Miami Beach
- Anonymous on Miami-Dade County Deserves New Thinking on Transit
- Mike Arias on Drawbridges Over Troubled Waters
- Jeff Redding on Thank You, FDOT!
- Jeff Redding on The FDOT Resurfacing Project on Brickell Avenue Dangerous for Pedestrians
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning