What do you love or hate about Miami? That’s what The Miami Herald and WLRN want to know, recently announcing a call for Miamians to create a poem about their city – the ‘That’s so Miami’ poetry project.
Poem submissions are published each day on ThatsSoMiami.tumblr.com and some of the best poems will be chosen to be read on the air on WLRN 91.3 FM, South Florida’s NPR news station. They must be under 100 words and begin or end with the phrase ‘That’s so Miami’. You can also submit photos and poems from Instagram and Twitter, respectively, tagged with #ThatsSoMiami to go up on the website as well. Check out all the rules and how to enter your poem here.
Now for my poem…..
A safety crisis hard to ignore
and a part of Miami I really deplore
Is the danger of walking or crossing the street
To merely survive, you must have quick feet.
The pedestrian crisis is very real here
Miami a leader in deaths, year after year.
Because speeding, tailgating and failure to yield
Are normal behaviors behind the windshield.
An embarrassing failure of our local officials
and FDOT, to use their initials
By not providing the streets that are safer for walking
Years of inaction – we only hear talking.
Unhealthy for kids and especially Granny
Our dangerous streets? #ThatsSoMiami.
- Craig Chester
- Pedestrian Hit on Brickell, Multiple Witnesses; Officer Refuses to Issue Ticket for “Failure to Yield to Pedestrian”
- FDOT Resurfacing Project Coming to Brickell; Transit Miami Eye is Watching
- Transit Miami Eye on the Coral Way Resurfacing Project
- The FDOT Biscayne Boulevard Streetscape Project a Pedestrian Nightmare
- Adventures of a Pedestrian on Brickell
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- Daniel Manichello on Where’s the Bus? Experiencing a Global City through its Mass Transit System
- Joel Levine on Bal Harbour “No Bicycle Allowed on Sidewalk” Ordinance Conflicts with State Statue
- Kenneth Garcia on Where’s the Bus? Experiencing a Global City through its Mass Transit System
- Mike Arias on Where’s the Bus? Experiencing a Global City through its Mass Transit System
- John on Where’s the Bus? Experiencing a Global City through its Mass Transit System
- gregory on Documentary: Right To Wynwood-Gentrification through Art
Subscribe via Email
TagsBicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Climate Change Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Design Urban Planning