Yesterday afternoon, a serious car crash on Brickell Bay Drive by the Four Ambassadors Condo Building sent an SUV flying onto the sidewalk and a young woman to the hospital. Transit Miami reader and eyewitness Mark Batey sent us this report:

Having witnessed the aftermath of yet another accident on Brickell Bay Drive, I decided enough was enough and went online to try to find some statistics and contacts. I came across your site TransitMiami.com which is great. The crash was about the third such accident I have seen on almost the very same part of Brickell Bay Drive in the last 6 months or so. It followed the same pattern, according to information from another eye-witness in my building.

Apparently a black vehicle was traveling “way too fast” from south to north on Brickell Bay Drive. It lost control, hit a parked car which was propelled straight into a pedestrian and the pedestrian was knocked to the ground. The attached image is a blurred one out of respect for the pedestrian – a young lady who just happened to be passing by wearing running clothes.

What the photo shows is the black car on its side, the other vehicle fully mounted on the pavement from the impact, and the poor young lady lying on her back, bleeding and with serious injuries. I was alerted to the crash by the sound of the impact and the screams of the young lady which I will never forget.

A few months ago, I was walking by that same spot and saw the aftermath of an almost identical accident, this time with an older lady lying badly injured on the ground. Shortly after today’s crash I watched another lady walking by pushing a baby in a stroller. She has no idea how lucky she was.

From my vantage point I have a perfect view of the chaos of Brickell Bay Drive. It makes my blood boil when I see drivers driving straight by pedestrians on the pedestrian crossing – often at high speed.

I read the posts and comments about the traffic situation on Brickell Avenue and, having lived here for 8 years, and being a frequent pedestrian on Brickell, I can only agree with what I read. It is nothing short of a disgrace.

I would welcome your advice about the best way to make my voice heard on this issue.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you for the excellent report Mark. We agree that even though Brickell Avenue itself receives the brunt of the criticism, the surrounding roads are equally as deplorable for pedestrians, cyclists and even motorists. Brickell Bay drive from SE 8th Street south is in desperate need of traffic calming and enhanced pedestrian and cyclist measures. With 4 lanes of traffic here, vehicle speeds are often completely inappropriate for a dense residential neighborhood. We recommend a ‘road diet‘, reducing the road to two travel lanes and use the reclaimed space for a buffered bicycle lane. (Brickell Bay Drive at 14th street goes back to two lanes and traffic seems to flow just fine).

How many more people out for an evening jog have to be maimed by motorists until some serious action is taken?

Street level view of the aftermath after the jogger had been taken to the hospital.

Update: Reddit has an active thread on this crash. One eyewitness reported: “I was across the street when this accident happened. The black SUV hit the woman jogger and her lower leg snapped. I watched her look down and start screaming. I called 911 then bailed, that s*** was freaking me out.”

Tagged with:

25 Responses to Brickell Chaos Continues as Violent Crash Injures Female Jogger

1. Don says:

I LIVE IN THE 951 BUILDING AND THE ONE THING THAT CRAIG FAILED TO MENTION IS THAT THERE WAS NO BRAKING PRIOR TO IMPACT. THE PERSON DRIVING NEVER TOUCHED THE BRAKES AND SENT A PARKED CAR ALMOST 30 FEET ONTO THE SIDEWALK. THE IMPACT WAS SO INTENSE IT ROLLED THE MOVING VEHICLE ONTO IT’S DRIVER SIDE.

4 likes

2. Felipe Larcada says:

I am the father of the young female jogger who is mentioned in this article. The speed on Brickell Bay Drive has become an incredible hazard!! Monica is going to be ok, after surgery to repair multiple fractures in her leg. First and foremost We are extremely grateful for the good samaritans who stopped to assist her until first responders arrived. Those people who kept her comfortable are amazing human beings and Monica’s mother and myself will be forever grateful of your caring actions. I don’t know what exactly happened but one thing I am sure of is that speed was a major factor. Something needs to be done.

24 likes

3. Can someone please request a police report? Would love to see what, if any, charges are pressed against the driver. I wish Monica a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted Felipe- we would like to see what happens to this driver.

6 likes

4. Craig Chester says:

Felipe, thank you for your comment. I am a Brickell resident too and wish Monica a speedy recovery. We’ll do our best to lobby for change.

Craig

5 likes

5. Fernando Dominguez says:

Felipe, first and foremost I am happy to hear Monica will be OK. I’ve been worried since I heard the news.

My wife and I jog on this road several times a week and the speeding has gotten ridiculous, same for Brickell Bay Dr. between 14 and 15. This is a neighborhood and there is absolutely no excuse for someone to speed on these roads.

We really need to unite as neighbors and do something about this because the cops don’t seem to care to enforce traffic laws around here. I say we also get Commissioner Sarnoff involved. Almost every single day on my walk to work I have drivers aggressively threatening me with their cars when I’m crossing the street even when the “WALK” sign is on!

7 likes

6. Marcel says:

The traffic situation is disgraceful. Our city commissioner Bruno Barriero has shown no leadership whatsoever in resolving this. Lucky for us it is election time and we have the option of voting him out of office.

2 likes

7. Felipe Aazenha says:

Bruno Barriero is a County, not city, Commisioner.

8. Leah says:

First, I am glad to hear that the woman who was hit is going to be okay.

Is there a Brickell neighborhood association? I live in Brickell, too. SO many people like to jog and walk around the area–which is one of the things I love about living here. However, the traffic situation is out of control. Having a police officer do a one-hour sweep once in a blue moon is simply not enough to address the absolute horror that plays out on our roads every day.

I think it’s time to stage a “Run-In/Walk-In/Bike-In” to a City Commission Meeting.

2 likes

9. Fernando says:

I’m with Leah and I will gladly take time off work to do this. Maybe we can reach out to this site’s administrators and have them organize it since this is a great place to get something like that started.

Like Leah, my wife and I moved to Brickell BECAUSE we like to walk everywhere and we both are passionate runners. However the bad drivers are ruining this for us; even when we run with 200+ other people with the Brickell Run Club on Tuesdays we have to deal with drivers not stopping and ramming their cars through the crowd.

It is unreal that even though a single hour of enforcing the law brought in $10,000 for the city they are still claiming lack of resources to properly enforce traffic laws!

The majority of drivers in this city are reckless, aggressive and show blatant disregard for the law and pedestrians, the police is not enforcing the law as I’ve seen people breaking the law next to a cop and they don’t bother pulling them over. This needs to stop, our officials and our officers need to do better.

2 likes

10. Craig Chester says:

There is a Brickell Homeowners Association that has been vocal to the authorities for many issues concerning Brickell. Check out their latest newsletter which was almost entirely devoted to roadways. (http://brickellhomeowners.com)

We should organize a meeting and get some of our new readers involved, as this latest unnecessary, scary and sad incident has raised the mercury in Brickell significantly.

1 likes

11. Brickelite says:

I too am living in Brickell. I walk every evening and see all sorts of potential pedestrian/vehicle accidents waiting to happen. Drivers not giving pedestrians proper right of way – and also pedestrians that are equally guilty of not following traffic laws, walking out in middle of traffic when light is not green. Just too many people ignorant of possible consequences. We have road rules for a reason and no one seems to follow them in Brickell. With all the moms walking their baby’s it’s just a matter of time before they are involved in accident too.

2 likes

12. Fernando says:

I was just running home from work and I saw a police detail on Brickell Ave. and 8th pulling people over and handing out tickets to people disrespecting pedestrians and breaking the law!

Unfortunately I didn’t have the opportunity to thank them in person.

The cynic in me thinks this is just a show of force in reaction to the tragedy we just had with Monica; I really hope it is not, as it is a band-aid solution to a hemorrhaging problem. I really hope we see more of this and much more often; I for one plan to spend a large part of my weekend writing many letters and emails to Sarnoff, the police commissioner, the mayor, and other officials.

2 likes

13. Alex Baquero-Lima says:

You know what, they should just expand Metromover and close off the main thorough-ways in Brickell to cars. Brickell Avenue should be Miami’s Broadway.

14. mark says:

Felipe Azenha – that was my thought exactly. I want to use this as a case study in what consequences are faced by somebody who, on the face of the evidence, would appear to have been driving somewhere between what in my country would be called “without due care and attention” and downright recklessly. My girlfriend is a paralegal and I have asked her to get the police report and we will follow up and advise on subsequent developments.

1 likes

15. mark says:

Felipe Larcada – I’m really glad to hear Monica is doing well. You are right, the people who came to her aid that evening were great. So compassionate and so resourceful. And, although it’s hard to feel concern for someone who causes an accident like this, I have to say that some people also took it upon themselves to prop the driver’s car which was on its side, to prevent it from falling on its roof and endangering the driver trapped inside. It was gratifying to see such initiative from ordinary citizens. It would be equally gratifying to see some kind of initiative from the authorities (law enforcement, courts, FDOT)in assuming their responsibilities to help prevent this type of accident happening in the first place. That is what we must all strive towards.

16. Felipe Larcada says:

Thank you Mark. Yes, Monica is doing a little better every day, but her road to full recovery will be long. She is reading all of these posts and I know she is very appreciative of all the support. I also want to help in any way I can because not only was this my daughter but I am also a resident in the Brickell area. I would like to speak with you to see how we can band together and start a movement to reduce the speed in our city streets. The person who caused this incident was recklessly speeding and overtaking other cars and this needs to stop. Email me at flarcada@me.com and we can exchange cell numbers. Thank you again.

0 likes

17. Felipe. Let’s work together and possibly hold a forum and invite local officials to discuss this issue on making Brickell safer for pedestrians. My e-mail is cpchester@gmail.com and will send you a message soon.

1 likes

18. Bazyl Tomasz says:

Felipe – We wish Monica a speedy recovery.

We live on Brickell Bay Dr between 14th and 15th streets (the horseshoe) which is one lane in each direction. The speed on this street is beyond excessive. I have seen cars pass slower ones. The new crosswalk signs barely help. Speed bumps are needed. With so much traffic trying to avoid the chaos on Brickell Ave, we are being affected more and more. I have spoken with police officers who informed me that they cannot patrol this street as there is no safe place to stop traffic. We need to do something as a community. The city should be ashamed of itself.

19. Fernando says:

Bazyl,

I cannot agree enough about the need for speeds bumps on that road! I also live on that street and people are constantly speeding while there’s a lot of people with strollers, jogging, or walking their dogs around there.

20. Felipe Larcada says:

Monica is doing better every day and hopefully will have her stitches removed this week and a cast placed on her leg. Thank you all for your concern and prayers.

I have a request. The authorities are receiving conflicting stories on how this event happened. If anybody reading this blog actually witnessed the event as it happened or right before it happened, please contact me. We really need your help. My email again is flarcada@me.com. Thank you.

Felipe Larcada

0 likes

21. [...] modest tax increase for traffic enforcement? As long as it is not safe to be on the sidewalks in what's generally considered Miami's premier urban center, something has to be done. This is not [...]

0 likes

22. [...] crash sent a parked SUV flying 30 feet and onto the sidewalk, is seeking witnnesses from the incident on October 30th. Monica is doing better every day and hopefully will have her stitches removed this week and a cast [...]

23. Jasmine says:

I recently moved to Brickell and I really like the area but defenitely the traffic situation is horrible, not only in Brickell but in all the city of Miami, people drive like crazy and it is a hazard to everyone. I stumbled upon your article and we should start something to stop this reckless behavior, last time I was stuck in traffic friday night around 10.30 pm because of the construction on 8 st and I saw a man getting out of his car and slamming someone in the car in front of his! can you imagine that picture?! people are becoming savages! the savage guy was driving a BMW that shows you that money doesn’t buy class! we need education to stop this and create consciousness in people!

24. Jasmine says:

I recently moved to Brickell and I really like the area but definitely the traffic situation is horrible, not only in Brickell but in all the city of Miami, people drive like crazy and it is a hazard to everyone. I stumbled upon your article and we should start something to stop this reckless behavior, last time I was stuck in traffic friday night around 10.30 pm because of the construction on 8 st and I saw a man getting out of his car and slamming someone in the car in front of his! can you imagine that picture?! people are becoming savages! the savage guy was driving a BMW that shows you that money doesn’t buy class! we need education to stop this and create consciousness in people!

25. Jasmine says:

sorry for the double post and all the grammar mistakes. :(