It’s been nearly 6 months since FDOT completed its auto-centric resurfacing project on Coral Way. Our readers may recall that I did a thorough analysis on the poor quality of the bike lanes which were striped on Coral Way. We were told that FDOT would go back and re-stripe the bike lanes correctly as they should have done in the first place. Well, it’s been 6 months and we’re still waiting…
Yesterday I was driving down this section of roadway and noticed all the cars overtaking me as they cruised in excess of 50 mph. This roadway has 14ft lanes which only encourages cars to speed. As I’m driving down the street I noticed a woman pushing her husband in a wheel chair while trying to cross Coral Way in front of the St. Sophia Church on Coral Way and SW 24th Road. Unfortunately, this vulnerable couple doesn’t have safe options to cross Coral Way. The closest crosswalk to them is one block away on SW 25th Street. The next closest crosswalk is 10 blocks away on SW 15th Street. To make matter worse, the crosswalk on SW 15th Street is on a treacherous curve, making it very dangerous for even a healthy individual like myself to cross.
This signature FDOT project is just another fine example of their auto-centric mantra. The time is now to begin designing complete streets for all users.
- Transit Miami Eye on the Coral Way Resurfacing Project
- The FDOT Resurfacing Project on Brickell Avenue Dangerous for Pedestrians
- FDOT Resurfacing Project Coming to Brickell; Transit Miami Eye is Watching
- FDOT Bird Road Resurfacing Project Does Not Include Bike Lanes or Sharrows
- FDOT tries to fix bike lanes on Coral Way; fails miserably
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- B on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- yes on Miami-Dade County Deserves New Thinking on Transit
- Urbanity on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- SEFTA on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Robert Friedman on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Diego on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning