I think I am having deja vu, another pedestrian was struck and killed by a Miami-Dade Police officer in Southwest Dade yesterday. Details have not been released, reports the Herald. Because this involves a police officer, and not an NFL player, we may not hear anything more aboutthe incident.
Meanwhile, Miami-Dade School Police are enforcing the school area speed limit, at least in a few select locations. In just five days, officers in the Agressive Drivers unit handed out 642 tickets. While this is an important step for creating more livable streets and safe routes to schools for our children, one wishes that these periodic crackdowns would become routine. Civilizing the streets of Miami-Dade will remain a challenge until motor vehicle laws are consistently enforced. Perhaps we should start with those who are suppossed to be setting an example and following these laws: the police.
- Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Police Officer in Florida City
- Pedestrian Hit on Brickell, Multiple Witnesses; Officer Refuses to Issue Ticket for “Failure to Yield to Pedestrian”
- Safe Routes to School Pedestrian & Bike PSA
- Miami Beach Police Arrest Motorist for Aggravated Assault Against Cyclist
- Key Biscayne Police Ticketing Bicyclists
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- Mike Arias on Here’s the Route for Friday’s Critical Mass in Miami
- Mike Arias on Why pedestrians jaywalk in Miami Beach
- Anonymous on Miami-Dade County Deserves New Thinking on Transit
- Mike Arias on Drawbridges Over Troubled Waters
- Jeff Redding on Thank You, FDOT!
- Jeff Redding on The FDOT Resurfacing Project on Brickell Avenue Dangerous for Pedestrians
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning