This morning at around 8:40 a bicyclist was struck from behind by a hit and run driver in the south bound bicycle lane on Bear Cut bridge. The driver was apprehended about 4 miles away from where he struck and killed the bicyclist; the bicycle still underneath the car.
I don’t know all the facts of the accident yet, but I can assure you there is not a single factor that contributed to the death of this bicyclist. There will be plenty of blame to be shared; especially by the County Public Works Department which designed the dangerous and inadequate bicycle facility on the Rickenbacker Causeway. There are 1000′s of bicyclists that ride the Rickenbacker Causeway every weekend. Accidents like this can be prevented be designing proper bicycle facilities. This is the second fatality in the past three years on the Rickenbacker Causeway. Numerous other bicyclists have been injured here too.
Our condolences go out to the family of the bicyclist.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST TALKING HEADWAYS PODCAST
Find us on Facebook
- B on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- yes on Miami-Dade County Deserves New Thinking on Transit
- Urbanity on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- SEFTA on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Robert Friedman on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
- Diego on Will Miamians Allow MDX to Realize its Southwest Highway ‘Dream’?
Subscribe via Email
TagsAccident Bicycle Bicycle Infrastructure bicycles bike lanes Bike Miami Days Bikes bikeway biking Brickell bus Calendar Coconut Grove complete streets Congestion Cycling Downtown Miami Downtown Miami FDOT MDT Metrorail Miami Miami-Dade County Miami-Dade Transit Miami 21 Miami Beach Miami Dade Parking Parks Pedestrian Pedestrian Activity Pedestrians Pic o' the Day Planning Public Transit Rickenbacker Causeway Sprawl Streetcar Traffic Transit Transit Oriented Development Transportation Tri-Rail Uncategorized Urban Planning